Who took our survey
- Of the 218 journalists who took our survey, 150 have a science background (BS, MS, PhD, MD, etc).
- 58 percent of respondents have either undergraduate or graduate journalism degrees, or both.
- It was an almost even split between freelancers and staffers: 115 freelance journalists, 103 staff journalists.
- Here are the splits for how the 218 journalists define themselves (there were 61 responders that chose more than one label):
- Science journalist: 175
- Health journalist: 31
- Technology journalist: 15
- Environmental journalist: 46
- Energy journalist: 5
- General assignment journalist: 5
- Most of our respondents worked at print or online media outlets (more than one media type could be chosen):
- Print: 186
- Online: 199
- Radio / podcast: 41
- TV / film: 16
- Other: 2